Hello all and welcome to those taking my online ENG 1002-102 course this semester!
A few of you are familiar with me and online classes at IVCC, but I’ve provided some information about navigating Blackboard, the learning management system you’ll use for the entirety of this course, in this message. The course shell will be available June 14 through August 10, 2017.
To get started with Blackboard (Bb):
- After you log into Blackboard, click on our ENG 1002-102-17SU–Lee course shell link from your Blackboard home page.
- Click the “Syllabus & Calendar” link on the left-hand side of your Bb menu for the complete course syllabus and review my course policies and expectations. There you can also view the complete assignment calendar. I will communicate any necessary changes to either document via email announcement and post it to the “Syllabus & Calendar” link. I recommend printing/saving both documents for easy access.
- Next, click the “Weekly Assignments” link where weekly assignments, PowerPoint files, and assignment links will be located throughout the semester. I have two test assignments in the “Online Orientation” folder for you to try. One is a Blackboard Discussion (BD) post and one is an example Journal Response. Feel free to click on that folder and complete those tasks; email/message with any questions or concerns about either example assignment.
- And please note the “Resources” link on the left-hand side of your Bb menu where I will have available File Formatting, MLA Citation and documentation, writing/grammar, and IVCC campus services resources available throughout the semester. I will send a more detailed email announcement about file formatting closer to our first formal essay assignment, but what I have posted will give you an idea of the expectations. I also provided information about free IVCC-provided access to Office 365, another free, downloadable MS Word-like program and a free, downloadable anti-virus program in case you do not have access to such materials on your home/own computer.
- I am still updating the assignment dates in the grade page, so if you are able to view assignments or any other materials in there this week, please disregard them until I have everything set by the end of next week.
- I recommend favoriting/bookmarking/saving the IVCC.edu homepage, a link to the IVCC student email login page, a link to the IVCC Blackboard login page on your computer/laptop for easy access and in the case that the IVCC homepage goes down–usually Blackboard and sometimes IVCC email will remain in operation in that case.
- I also maintain a professional Prof Tracy Lee Facebook page @tlee329a and Twitter account @tlee329a account for class updates, reminders, general IVCC news, and a few random interest items. Students are free to message me via those accounts if student email inaccessible. And if you’d rather not mix academics with your personal social media accounts, you can follow the hashtag #lee1002 for class-specific posts instead.
I’m looking forward to an exciting semester and can’t wait to see your writing over the next 8 weeks. I wish you an enjoyable and educational online experience.
Email with any questions or concerns.