The Poetry Essay assignment sheet is available on Blackboard, and resources, expectations and library links are also available in our course shell. However, here is a list of some useful resources all in one place.
Writing Prompt and downloadable Assignment Sheet: Using one or two poems from the textbook or from the PoetryFoundation.org archive, explain how the themes, content, characters, or language of the poem represent a social issue. Social issues can be as small as an individual’s self-esteem or as large as racial/gender/identity inequality. Support your observations with citation from the poem(s), one scholarly library database article, and one reputable Internet article.
- Minimum 4 full pages and a maximum of 5 full pages
- Minimum of 5 paragraphs with introduction, 3+ body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
- Focus on analysis and not summary.
- Properly introduce your poem and its author in your introduction paragraph.
- Restate poem and author in your conclusion.
| Thesis & Support
- Support your observations with citation from the poem(s), one scholarly library database article, and one reputable Internet article.
- Use a maximum of three secondary sources.
- Use a minimum of 3 citations from your primary source (the poem).
- Use a minimum of 2 citations from scholarly library database article(s).
- Use a minimum of 2 citations from reputable Internet source article(s).
- Minimum of 1 direct quote AND 1 paraphrase citation per body paragraph.
- Write in third-person (I don’t exclude plural first-person we/our/us).
- Write in present tense.
- Use formal voice and proper grammar.
| Source Documentation & MLA Style
Link to IVCC English Department Grading Criteria
**Download attached assignment sheet and refer to related PowerPoints for complete assignment expectations.**
Summer 2017 Deadline
- Rough Draft due to group page by noon Tues. July 18
- Rough Draft comments posted by 11:59 PM Wed. July 19
- Final Draft due 11:59 PM Sun. July 23
IVCC Style Book Overview of MLA Style
Helpful Research Hints
Direct Quotation Citation example and Paraphrase/Summary Citation example
MLA Citation BasicsWorks Cited Page Information
IVCC English Department Grading Standards
Grading Criteria Rubric for Writing Assignments
Online course ENG 1002 Peer Review Rubric
Library & Reputable Internet Sources Links
Remember that you’ll need to use one library database article and one reputable Internet article for your assignment. You’ll find a list of reputable Internet sources in the the “Resources” link on Blackboard and here’s a link to help you choose credible sources. Here are the most commonly used library database resources:
Remember that you’ll need to log into the library site if you’re not using a campus computer. When you reach the log in screen, you’ll enter 24611 + your purple student number + 01, and then enter your last name.